Traveling Heritage Express

The adventures of "Heri Poh" - the teddy bear adopted by the members of the online community group known as "Preserving_Our_Heritage" (POH).

Thursday, April 13, 2006

Letter and Learning

My Letter from 1 Apr 2006
From Heri

With those nice notes I shared last time from my new Heri's Mailbag, I see I've got one more sheet of paper. It's the letter I wrote back to those nice folks. So think I'll share that too, then I can put all these pieces of paper away! :) Here it is:

It has been BEARUTIFUL here this past week. Perfect temps of 72 or a little higher. Yesterday after Mz BJ got home from work, we (Mr V, bj and me) just sat on the porch reading and enjoying how bearutiful it was.

I have read lots more about Florida and it sure is interesting. Mz BJ had told me she was a "Florida cracker" since she was born in FL, but she didn't know where that name came from.

I may have found the answer while reading in the FL history book:

  • The Scotch-Irish settlers who came to live in FL during the 1800's were called crackers. This name "may have" come from the cracking noise their whips made as they herded cattle.

    That sounds good to me. I also found out from that book there were lots of Indians here and that of course is very interesting to Mz BJ with her study of Indians. Florida is a very interesting state and had lots of ties to the French, Spanish and English FL first appeared on a Spanish map in 1502 and at that time had about 100,000 American Indians living here.

    Today, Mz BJ says she is taking me to some surprise place and it has something to do with food!! I can hardly wait!

    Got to go....many bear hugs to you all, Heri
  • 0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home