Traveling Heritage Express

The adventures of "Heri Poh" - the teddy bear adopted by the members of the online community group known as "Preserving_Our_Heritage" (POH).

Friday, April 14, 2006

Sciatica and Storytellers

Journal Entry for 8 April 2006
From: Heri
Location: Florida

I hate to report Mz BJ has a sciatica problem & has been in pain since early Wed. morning. (Now I know what Diedra must have felt like to report that I broke my leg in WI!) Mz BJ says it's been really difficult to work ... sitting all day. She's been able to leave work an hour early or stand for the last hour to help feel better. Then, as soon as she gets home she lays down & uses the heating pad (I had never seen a heating pad before. Great human invention!)

Today she still doesn't feel like doing too much & has apoligized to me about not doing a few things she would have liked or not showing me a couple of FL places. I keep telling her that friends are friends on both good days and bad, so hope she doesn't stay feeling too badly about this. She's been wonderful to me, so I've been trying to make her feel a little better even though she's in pain. After all, we're family now!

Although we haven't been racing around over the past couple of days, good things have still been happening. I'm learning: that's how life is!



I have been busy listening to Bear Story Teller from New Mexico





Here's a picture of a pottery story teller from the SW Pueblo tribes just as another example so you can see what I'm talking about.

Mz BJ said she first noticed story teller pottery in the Cherokee shop in Cherokee NC, maybe 20 yrs ago. (That shop has art from many Indian tribes, not just Cherokee.)




Oral history & story telling is very important in almost all tribes. Anyway, Bear ST, as I call him has told me many wonderful stories & he also showed me Mz BJ's Indian collection of books, art, jewelry, music, pottery & other items. She has been studying Indians since about 1981. And I know bears are also very important to many tribes & that caught my attention :)

More heritage adventures for this little bear - and I'm loving every minute of it!
Your Heri

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home