Traveling Heritage Express

The adventures of "Heri Poh" - the teddy bear adopted by the members of the online community group known as "Preserving_Our_Heritage" (POH).

Monday, October 29, 2007

Heri Goes to School

From: Heri
Memories from: Late July 2006
Location: In Florida with Lynn

Yes, you read that right. I went to SCHOOL with Lynn! Here's a few of my journalings from that happy time. :)

Journal Entry:
We just started the summer reading program at a school in Palm Beach County and it is so much fun seeing the kids want to read.  They are really nice to me and some of them are studying my name and what it means.  They think it is so cool that I am traveling around the country.

Many of them are from different countries around the world.  Some told me they are from Jamaica, Haiti, Mexico, Guatemala, Trinidad, Cuba, Puerto Rico, Canada, Russia, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and New York...ha!  Just kidding, I know that New York is a state.  Many of the students speak English and Spanish.  Some speak Creole, others speak Portugese.  They eat foods that are so delicious!  It is a lot of fun learning about their cultures.

To be honest, I didn't know where all those places might be! And Lynn said these are just a few. Over 73 different places? Wow. I made a MAP to help me get my "bear"-ings! LOL

Journal Entry:
The girls think I am very cute. Some of the boys think I'm cool, but they tried to hide it. :) I watched the children as they read their books on different heritages. They all worked very hard this summer.

I have other school memories too!

  • The teachers talked about everyone's heritage and how important it is to recognize and embrace our differences. They said we can learn so much from each other and share our traditions.

  • The students talked about where their families are from & shared foods they eat at home. They also talked about how they celebrated different holidays. It was fun! I met 3rd, 4th and 5th graders. :)

  • Many of the teachers here are talking about me in their classrooms as they all explore their heritage. I think that's great! :)

  • I went to a Literacy Tea for the parents of the school children. Just like with all the kids - and the teachers - I was introduced!


  • If this is what school is like, I'm all for it! :) Sure glad Lynn took me with her to meet all those great people. I'll remembers those kids sharing their family heritage stories and cultures for a long, long time. :)

    HASTA LUEGO !!
    (I am practicing my Spanish...see you soon!)

    Heri

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home