Traveling Heritage Express

The adventures of "Heri Poh" - the teddy bear adopted by the members of the online community group known as "Preserving_Our_Heritage" (POH).

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

San Francisco Memories

From: Heri
Heritage Memories from: Sept and Oct 2006
Location: California

I was a tourist! Got to visit and explore what they call the City by the Bay. That's another name for San Francisco! :) Deb drove north for just under an hour on a big, wide freeway, then we were there. What a time we had. In fact, think I'll just show you! :)

First up, was Fisherman's Wharf



where you can find some great seafood! You don't even have to go inside the restaurants, the vendor who had all these crabs was right out on the sidewalk. Lots of visitors from all over the world, so as I sat here, I heard lots of different languages. Talked to lots of people!




As we walked there, Deb told me to look down. Seemed a little strange to me to be looking at people's feet, but I did what she asked. Whoa! Another history lesson and we were walking on it.

Did you know that San Francisco was once part of what was known as the Barbary Coast?


Can you see tiny little me sitting on one of San Francisco's famous cable cars? (look on the seat near the 2nd post) Poor Joan, who came along with us that day. Got a photo of her sweatshirt, but not her! Deb says you need to dress in layers when you go to "the city". Lots of wind and fog there. These cars go all over the city - up & down some pretty steep hills. Wheeeeee!





Better to check out the t-shirt than to go to prison! Er .. Alcatraz! One tourist almost picked me up instead of a shirt! :)






And who can go to SF without driving across the Golden Gate Bridge! Deb drove us across San Francisco Bay so we could look back at the city. Kinda like this shot of me and the bridge.



















California is on the west coast of the US and we were visiting a city, but here I am with some John Deere tractors! LOL Turns out they have a huge store inside Ghiardelli Square so I took a rest for a minute on the shelf. Saw lots of fun gift shops.



Hmmmm .. wait. Maybe I should consider a hat instead? And who says this ia a dog's food dish? I fit pretty well. Could take a bath or a nap in it - and still say "here's to you, John Deere"! :)





Before we left Cannery Row and Ghirardelli Square, we headed toward the place that's famous for creating .. yes .. you guessed it .. Ghirardelli chocolate! Deb asked the clerk if she wanted to say hi to me - so there she is - with me - and Deb's chocolate. Yummmmmmmm!!!


Thought we were going to head home, but Deb had one more surprise in store for me. We left the area near the SF Bay and headed west again. Drove right through Golden Gate Park - a very big place! But we weren't heading to a lake or park or museum there. We kept going west again. And soon? We ran right to the edge of the country. Hello Pacific Ocean!!!



That's the famous Cliff House waaaaaaay up the beach from where we were. When there are bad storms here, that ocean that's a long way from where I'm sitting comes into shore in big waves - up the beach - up the wall - and right out onto the highway!


Whew! Now, whenever I hear Tony Bennett sing I Left My Heart in San Francisco, I'll know just what he was talking about!


It was a great day. I'll leave you with one more photo. I'm not even in it! As Deb drove across the Golden Gate Bridge - this is what it looked like looking through the car's windshield.

By the way, did you notice the Golden Gate Bridge isn't gold?

Your happy little friend,
Heri

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home