Traveling Heritage Express

The adventures of "Heri Poh" - the teddy bear adopted by the members of the online community group known as "Preserving_Our_Heritage" (POH).

Friday, April 07, 2006

Bakery - Heritage Ctr - Bear Porridge

Journal Entry for 3 Mar 2006
From: Heri Poh
Location: Wisconsin

Hello from WI! This is a really fun place. I was tired this morning, so I slept in. Then we headed out to meet Diedra's parents. We went to look at a duplex since Diedra is hoping to sell their farm. Then her Dad chatted with me while the ladies shopped.

I was getting a little growl-ly by the time we dropped off her parents. The bakery was our next stop for Bear Claws. I loved that Baker, she was really nice. Even put out a tablecloth for my Bear Claw so we could take a photo.



Diedra told me when you share a photo, it's good to write a caption to put with it. So, my caption for that photo is: Baker, Bear Claw and ME!

I was much better after that stop so we went sight-seeing in New Richmond. They have a Heritage Center. It's a park setting of Historic Buildings, a Nature Trail and a Museum. I helped a lady mangle at the Center. She was just a "trainee mangler" but she looked pretty good to me. The guy there said there was a bear den north of town but we didn't have time to find it today.

Here's another "caption". (See how quickly I learn things?)
Heritage Center in New Richmond, WI



Tomorrow Diedra says we are going scrappin' all day. Made me hungry to hear this but Diedra said while there is food, it not scraps but scrapbooking! Since I was thinking about food again I thought I would share one of my Mama's recipes.

My Mama Bear made this for us all the time! Even oatmeal haters might like this version. It's sweet and custardy, and keeps you full 'till lunchtime. By the way, don't balk at the raw eggs that get stirred in. The hot porridge cooks them completely. If you're worried about the eggs just return it to the stove a few minutes.

BEAR PORRIDGE

3 cups water
1 cup powdered milk
1 1/2 cups rolled oats, regular not quick
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins or dried cranberries
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 eggs
4 teaspoons butter
1 cup milk, warmed
3 tablespoons honey

In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Combine the powdered milk, oats and cinnamon: quickly stir into the boiling water. Return the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture is the desired thickness.

Remove from heat and mix in the raisins/cranberries and vanilla. Beat in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each. The hot porridge will cook the eggs completely. Divide the porridge between 3 bear size bowls or 4 people size bowls Top each one with a teaspoon of butter, 1/4 cup of warm milk and drizzle with honey.

Yummmmmmmmmm ...
Your Heri Poh

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home