Traveling Heritage Express

The adventures of "Heri Poh" - the teddy bear adopted by the members of the online community group known as "Preserving_Our_Heritage" (POH).

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Heri at Genealogy Library

From: Heri
Heritage Memories from: Sept and Oct 2006
Location: California

More memories to share. This time, it's all about doing something that a lot of my POH hosts and hostesses do all the time: genealogy research!

Hoping for family connections, Deb took me one day to the Santa Clara City Library. She did all the looking and I did a lot of hoping for her! Even though I'm still flying overhead as I write this .. making my long way from England back to Oregon, I can still remember how much we saw that day. Take a look!



I'm sitting on top of a set of books Deb says anyone searching for ancestors in Connecticut is happy to use. They're called the Barbour Collection. I took a peek inside one. Pages of births, marriages and deaths (what Deb says are called vital records.) However, these all happened back in 1600s - early 1800s. Wow!



Deb wanted to check on some microfilm. This library has lots of rolls all lined up in file drawers. I'm sorry to say I didn't help much. As Deb looked for the one she wanted to see, I sat in one of the drawers and rested! LOL










Then it was time to look at some microfiche. Deb found just the one she wanted - images from the Boston Transcript.





I read several genealogy queries written (and answered) back in the 1880s/1890s from all over New England. Yet here we were looking at them! Here's a pic of us at the microfiche reader.

Then we headed back to books again. This time Deb was hoping to find some or any of her German ancestors on board a ship traveling from Germany to the US back in the 1870s. The library has the whole set of Germans to America. We looked and looked and still didn't find her Schmidt, Witt or Krueger ancestors. But she still hopes she'll find the ship one day, so I'll keep my paws crossed for her!




















We both needed a break, so we headed out the back door & right into a lifesize metal sculpture of several children. I could have sworn they were real - all holding hands - and circling around. That library has a lot of art & sculpture inside and out. I liked that!

Then, we headed towards the sounds of a water fountain. Yup - lots of trees, water, benches and ducks. Didn't hurt to rest our brains, have something to eat and talk to those ducks for awhile. A nice day.

Think next time, I'll tell you all about my visit to the doll lady. Looking back, I sure did meet all kinds of people during my adventures!

Til next time,
Your traveling Heri

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home