Traveling Heritage Express

The adventures of "Heri Poh" - the teddy bear adopted by the members of the online community group known as "Preserving_Our_Heritage" (POH).

Friday, April 14, 2006

Indian Pow Wow!

Journal Entry for 10 April 2006
From: Heri
Location: Florida

Well, I'm writing this on my last day I'm putting it on the computer & when Mz BJ gets online later today, she'll send it on. I had a great time at the Pow Wow I've got a lot to tell you about and several pics too, so here we go with another set of heritage adventures!



You can see me hanging on the sign for dear life. Boy, the wind was really blowing! It may blow me all the way to Kansas! :)



Well, first we saw Indian dancing in a circle outlined with straw bales. I know the dancing arena is considered special/sacred, Mz BJ asked to be sure pictures could be taken. The children were dancing and some of them were so cute. (Well, all children & all bears are cute!)




Caption: (see? I still remember that word!) New Friends

All of a sudden we passed by a tent & this very nice Shoshone man opened up a beautiful wooden box & pulled out a dark, real looking bear. The man, David, said he would introduce the bears & Mz BJ could take their picture. The bear is known as, The Bear From Oklahoma He was given to David as an honor & has had his picture taken with many famous people & now also Heri. David is an artist & was so interested to hear my story & about my travels.

Mz BJ also took pictures of the drum area & the Cherokee singers The three woman sang in beautiful harmony - several songs that told some of the Cherokee history like the Trail of Tears.






Some people were riding Indian horses. And people were also looking at lots of nice Indian things to buy. I'm really glad I got to attend my very first Indian Pow Wow, I had fun & was happy to meet David, a full blooded Shoshone, the only Shoshone I know.



Getting ready to go home, I saw a really big truck & I tried to hitch a ride It had a Missouri tag, but Mz BJ said I'm going to Kansas. Can you see me on the truck? :)






I tried to call MzVicki & Liz to let them know what I'm doing, but nobody was home.







Beary happy, Heri

1 Comments:

  • At 12:27 PM, April 15, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Heri, You probably could have taken a ride on that big truck going to Missouri. I live right next door. We will be going to MO a couple of times while you are here.
    Liz

     

Post a Comment

<< Home